Total Store Study
Topic: Retail Insights
To understand shopping habits for all potato categories at retail, Potatoes USA partnered with Kantar Insights Consulting to conduct a total store potato study. This study identified detailed opportunities for all potatoes throughout the store.
- Not only is the perimeter of the grocery store important for increasing sales, but so is the center of the store.
- In 2019, the majority of consumers were shopping the perimeter with only limited trips into the center aisles for essentials. In 2020, retailers saw a return to the center store categories and potatoes were included in this trend.
- Frozen potatoes ended up seeing the highest increase in repeat purchasing compared to any other potato category.
- Dehydrated potatoes also saw a lift. They are being purchased as part of a full meal, showing the convenience factor is a large contributor to the purchase decision.
- Ninety-four percent of consumers are compelled to purchase potatoes after seeing information, packaging, and resources such as recipes, in-store.
- Online sales for potatoes have significantly increased as consumers became more comfortable ordering perishables in 2020.